Added July 14, 2016|Category: Sides
- 1- 11 ounce can red kidney beans
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- ¼ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Mia’s Kitchen Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 1 small zucchini, unpeeled and cut into small cubes
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 small carrot, diced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 4 to 5 leaves Swiss chard, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces of your favorite Mia’s Kitchen Pasta Sauce
- 2½ cups water or stock
- ½ cup chardonnay or other dry, white wine
- ¼ cup uncooked elbow macaroni (optional)
- grated parmesan cheese
NOTE: Recipe adapted from Mia’s grandmother's cookbook, 'Mangiamo' by Sylvia Sebastiani.
- Place undrained beans in a large kettle or saucepan on medium-high heat; mash about two thirds of the beans and leave the rest whole.
- Add salt, garlic salt, garlic, pepper, oil, and parsley, stirring well. Then add all of the vegetables, butter, pasta sauce and water or stock. Simmer 1 hour or more and then add the wine. (If desired, macaroni may be added at this point.) Simmer 10-15 minutes longer.
- Sprinkle with cheese before serving. If soup seems too think, thin is out with more water or stock to your desired consistency.